In Manchester from Irlam to my hotel
Among the worst things that can happen to me during a cab conversation is when a driver starts spouting bigoted, racist or intolerant views. It’s not in my nature to argue or put them straight, but I hate feeling complicit. I usually try to subtly show disproval whilst deftly steering the conversation into safer territory. I didn’t have much luck with this one:
– so you come from London do you? Do you live right in the centre like?
– yes, South of the river, but pretty central
– how do you find it living with all those foreigners? Last time I was in London I couldn’t believe it when I was the only English-speaking white face on the tube
– errr, I quite like that it’s so multicultural
– do you? I wouldn’t, dunno if I would feel safe. Full of arabs it was…
He goes on, I won’t dignify it by typing up the rest. In the end I gave up, opened my book and pointedly ignored him for the rest of the journey.